Our annual report examines and compares the performance of water companies in England and Wales for household customer complaints.
The report assesses companies’ performance during a year when the industry was faced with the challenge of adapting its ways of working during Covid-19, while consumers’ demand for water in the home increased during periods of lockdown.
Key findings include:
- Written complaints to water companies rose for a third successive year with billing problems dominating 67 per cent of disputes with customers
- Thames Water accounted for more than 2 out of 5 complaints to the industry and those received by CCW. Southern Water and Essex and Suffolk Water also named among poor performers
- Nine water companies were still able to reduce written complaints despite the challenging climate created by Covid-19
- Wessex Water and Hartlepool Water topped the league for low complaint numbers and good complaint handling
- CCW has called on companies to ensure customers receive clear and accurate bills and are treated with empathy when struggling with debt
- CCW and Ofwat are working with the industry to improve complaint handling