Who can get help?

You’ll need to be on a meter or on assessed charges.


You or someone in your house receives one of the following means tested benefits:

  • Housing benefit
  • Income support
  • Income based Job Seeker’s Allowance
  • Income based Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit (guaranteed element)
  • Universal Credit (housing element or standard allowance element)

In addition to the above, your ‘equivalised’ weekly income, after housing costs, must be less than £295. Equivalised income is actual money income which is adjusted to reflect the size of a household. For example, an income of £200 is worth more to a single person than it would be to a family with 3 children.

To qualify for the WaterCare Tariff, your household bill should represent more than 5% of your equivalised income after housing costs.

What help is provided?

There are 5 bandings between 15% and 85% reduction.

How can I apply?

Apply direct to company at https://www.southwestwater.co.uk/bills/need-help-paying-bill/

Plymouth Citizens Advice Bureau at http://www.plymouthcab.org.uk/