If I asked you to guess what was found lurking in the sewer pipes of England and Wales over the past year I’m willing to bet ‘adult toys’ or a hand grenade wouldn’t feature on your list. But believe it or not these strange discoveries are just two of the more bizarre items that have been fished from the dirty depths of our sewer network in recent times. Fortunately these finds are as a rare as they are amusing, but the real scourge of our sewers is anything but a laughing matter.
Remember the ‘3 Ps’
- ONLY FLUSH – the 3 Ps: Pee, Poo and toilet Paper down your loo.
- DON’T FLUSH – other items including wet wipes, nappies and pads; cotton buds; tissues; plastic bags and wrappers; sanitary towels; plasters and chewing gum. Bag them and bin them instead.
- DON’T POUR – cooking fats, oils and greases down the sink or drain. Instead KEEP A FAT TRAP or container in the kitchen to collect waste fats, oils and grease. Many water companies will provide you with a free fat trap.
- DO ALLOW – small amounts of fats, oils and grease to cool and scrape them into a container or newspaper before binning them
Steve Grebby is CCWater’s sewerage expert
CCWATER’S ‘TOP OF THE PLOPS’ SEWER DISCOVERIES
- ‘Adult toys’ (Southern Water)
- Dismantled greenhouse (South West Water)
- Motorbike (Severn Trent)
- Hand grenade (United Utilities)
- Space hopper (Yorkshire Water)
The items creating a stink in our sewers – 2014/15
|Sewerage company (England and Wales)||Sewer blockages caused by fats, oils,
greases & other non-biodegradable items
|Strangest items pulled from the sewer/waste treatment plants|
|Anglian Water||10,700||False teeth, toy action figures, golf balls, mobile phones.|
|Dŵr Cymru Welsh Water||24,000||Mini motorbike; mop heads, trousers, fence posts.|
|Northumbrian Water||3,000||Large hammer, animal skull.|
|Severn Trent Water||31,500||Motorbike|
|Southern Water||12,400||‘Adult toys’, dead sheep, false teeth, severed fingers, teddy bears.|
|South West Water||8,500||A dismantled greenhouse, 12-inch kitchen knife, underwear, false teeth|
|Thames Water||73,500||Dead badger, toy boat, glasses, false teeth.|
|United Utilities||10,800||Hand grenade, road cones, toy prams, dead sheep.|
|Wessex Water||13,000||Toy ‘Nemo’ fish.|
|Yorkshire Water||17,000||A space hopper, gold jewellery, false teeth.|
Got any questions or want to find out more? Then email us at email@example.com