It’s not always easy to keep your cool during hot weather but there are simple things you can do to stay hydrated as temperatures soar across England and Wales.
Drinking tap water is one of the cheapest and healthiest ways to cool off so it’s worth investing in a reusable water bottle that you can keep topped up throughout the day.
As well as being over 500 times cheaper than bottled water, tap water is also much more environmentally friendly and UK supplies are among the safest in the world.
Poor access is most often given as the reason only a fifth of us drink tap water when we are out and about – but remember – all licensed restaurants and cafes should provide you with free tap water.
Here are our top tips to stay hydrated during hot weather:
- Start each day with a glass of tap water.
- Remember to fill a reusable bottle before you leave your home or office so that you have water with you when you are on the go.
- Try to drink a glass of water at set points of the day, with each cup of tea or coffee or with meals.
- When at work, keep water close by to sip throughout the day.
- Ask for a free glass or jug of tap water in restaurants and bars – only a third of us currently do so.
- Put a jug or bottle of tap water in the fridge for a chilled drink or use ice cubes for a quick refreshing drink. Add a slice of lemon or lime for some flavour.
- Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables. They have high water content, and can help keep you topped up. A tomato, for example, is 95 per cent water.
And remember – water is the healthiest choice for quenching your thirst at any time. It has no calories and contains no sugars that can damage teeth.